This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Powerful Memories

 
Music On The Run

Jennifer Hudson - I Remember Me

When I was little I had one of those balsa wood planes with the rubber band motors. Just wind that rascal up 'til the rubber band was all knotted with torque, then let 'er fly. Who knew where it was going to go?  More than likely straight into something hard, and it was gonna get there in a hurry. I get the same feeling when I listen to Jennifer Hudson. This woman can flat wind it up and let it go, but Hudson doesn't hit anything hard with this cd. Her other interests … the acting … the commercials … apparently have all moved her further from that American Idol big stage sameness. But you can't run from who you are, and Hudson is Diva with a capital “D.” This woman's voice is larger than any spotlight, and she has shown a real ability to work the instrument. The songs on I Remember Me are, however, reminiscent of the Idol experience. All songs about big emotions... disappointment, love, redemption and always with the redemptive power of believing in oneself. Even the uptempo numbers mine the same themes. This is a solid recording and I liked it. I suspect in the near future, you won't so much attend a Hudson concert, as she grants you an audience.
As far as listening on the run, I ordinarily wouldn't pick this first. Oprahesque ruminations are not my first choice for a three mile distraction. Full disclosure though: I listened to this on a particularly hilly route and to be honest, the “I can survive ..” lyrics and the thumping rhythms gave me a little mental bump to get up the soul sucking hill on the way home. I think I'll see if it works the next time I come this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment