This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Have Mercy

 
Music On The Run

Fistful Of Mercy

My first impression is that these guys need to rehearse more. Don't get me wrong.  Dhani Harrison, Joseph Arthur, and Ben Harper certainly have reputations; well earned reputations as artists and performers who have proven themselves. Just not together. Just about every song sounded like some one got them together and said, “... you dudes could just get together and jam. It'll be magic!” But, no prestidigitation here. It's good. All three can play. All three can sing. It just doesn't sound like they played and sang together very often. That's okay too, but every song sounds like three guys around sitting on chairs in a circle, just making it up as they go along. They channel Crosby, Stills and Nash on a couple. Catchy songs. A little ragged along the edges. But, just about every cut make me think of a mashup of every singer-songwriter that's ever swayed a young girl's interest. Only one song seemed to break the mold. The guys do a tub-kicking number with lyrics that say something like “ … lay awake, daylight …. pillow and a gun ...” Staying up all night with a gun under the pillow.” Alright, that's getting it done. Then back to mellow marshmallow stuff. Alright on a summer night, nursing a cold one as the sun goes down, but not much for getting your edge on. As far as a runnng partner, this didn't hold my interest long or often. I can listen to it on the back patio, but as for on the run … see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment