This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Family Mumford


Music On The Run
Mumford And Sons – Sign No More

I was late to this one. The Mumford & Sons cd has received quite a few praising reviews, but it was also described as folk. Folk and widespread praise in the same sentence? Yeah, that happens all the time. I'm a boomer … came of age in the '60s, so I heard my share of folk, but this Mumford & Sons is not your father's folk music. It's also not the sort of bluegrass/ pop/ alternative hybrids like The Duhks or Nickel Creek. It's … well .. it's folk, but european busker music in a way. Did you see the movie “Once?” (A great movie by the way) This Mumford & Sons cd reminded me of that. Honest, straightforward music with strong vocals and musicianship. I have to admit, not being an aficianado, that I felt as if I should be sitting in a dark pub drinking warm ale, getting ready to scream for Manchester United. I enjoyed it, but not so much for running. The rhythms were solid, but some of the songs were soft, gentle things, and didn't grab enough of my attention to keep me from thinking I had to buy better shoes for the next time I wanted to take a long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment