This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Cee Lo Killing The Ladies


Music On The Run
Cee Lo - The Lady Killer

I don't know if Cee Lo is a Lady Killer, but this cd is straight sugar. Cee Lo is a huge talent. No one looks like, sings like, or acts like him. These are big productions, but none of them … not a single one … overwhelms his performance. I keep coming back to comparisons about size, but I swear I'm not talking about Cee Lo's considerable girth, just his considerable quantity of musical goodness. A few tracks evoke soul songs from the '60s. Strings and drums that sound like Motown in its heyday These are songs you play when you have party plans for the weekend. Shower, shave and Cee Lo.   Strong rhythms, great hooks, and “play that track again!” Okay, now to the elephant in the room. The monster single off this album asks a former lover to … uhm … er … you know what he says. Gwenyth Paltrow did a fun sanitized version on “Glee,” but Cee Lo's version is just gleeful as he vents. Who knew that the ultimate kiss off could be this playful. I suspect there are a few of us, on the short end of a relationship, who wrote the words to this song many times over and over in our heads, but Cee Lo goes at it with an energy and intensity that's cathartic. Yeah, play that track again.
It's a great cd to run with. Every track has punch and pace.
Cee Lo's voice is compelling and keeps your interest, and most tracks will energize you as Cee Lo gives you the ultimate comeback to the woman who kicked you to the curb.

No comments:

Post a Comment