This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Kanye Being Kanye


Music On The Run
Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Talk about truth in advertising. I suppose, though, every Kanye effort can be described as beautiful, dark and twisted. I have to give him props for this one though. Kanye really exposes himself … wait … you know what I mean. West spins rowdy, profane and tawdry tales. Bragging and strangely defensive at the same time. It's weird. But, this is a dude who doesn't have a filter. Just ask Taylor Swift or Matt Lauer. The language is rough in places too. Many places. But you knew that. It all works though. Speaking of Taylor Swift, for a guy who can bogard a mic like that, he shares the wealth on quite a few cuts. There's John Legend (he impresses me,) Jay-Z (how much money can one man make?) and Nicki Minaj (she really, really scares me sometimes) and others contributing here. The real strength, I think, is the way the songs all build little dramas within themselves. There's a lot going on with rhythms, sounds and modulation. The beats are strong, but not repetitive. That makes it good for running too. There are standard 4/4 beats, but occasionally there are the strong marching chants, just in time to provide motivation to beat those “hate-you hills” on a running route. This cd has pacing and it certainly distracts you from pounding the pavement. If Kanye is nothing else, he can be distracting, but I doubt he can ever be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment