This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Aloe Blacc Needs A Dollar


Music On The Run

Aloe Blacc

Aloe Blacc took an unusual route to a high profile. He started with a rap group here, but made his bones as a singer in Europe. His latest recording has gotten enough press that I doubt he's singing “I Need A Dollar” as a necessity now.
Some would call this effort “neo-soul.” I'm more partial, in at least in this case, to calling it “throwback” … thrown all the way back to the early '70s. You'll hear the chicka-chicka wah wah guitars I last heard from Rose Royce … some unidentifiable percussion that I swear was lifted from Sly & The Family Stone, and vocals slightly reminiscent of Bill Withers. Speaking of vocals, Aloe Blacc has a pleasant voice, but never really pushes himself out of a comfort zone. He' ll occasionally reach for a high note, even go for a falsetto, but while the music says 70s soul, the vocals are modern “work with what you got.” That's not bad, especially because the lyrics are not typical the typical “soul-lover man-my heart was broke-I'll do anything for you – we'll get married and be happy one day” lyrics either. Aloe Blacc turns clever lyrics about interesting topics.
Now to Aloe as a running partner. I'm not sold on that. Maybe you will, if you concentrate on the words in a song. I'm more of a music and rhythm guy. The songs have good pacing, but there are few numbers that just jump out and make the pain go away. Aloe Blacc is definitely part of my listening repertoire, but just on the patio, enjoying a cold one after the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment