This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Monday, March 28, 2011

R.E.M. Collapsing


Music On The Run
R.E.M. – Collapse Into Now


I took a quick look at myself: kelly green sweatpants, electric blue running shoes with orange trim, dingy gray worn fleece pullover and a bright red hat. A quick shrug and I was out the door for my run. No embarrassment. I still care about fashion, but sometimes “haute de what’s clean” is okay with me. I’m comfortable with my choices.
R.E.M. has that same vibe. Don’t get me wrong. Musically, everything fits, but they have a “comfortable with who I am” sound, honed by decades of making wonderful songs. And these are wonderful songs on“Collapse Into Now.” This is their 15th studio album, so I didn’t really expect a re-working of their sound. This is rock and roll, R.E.M style … muscular drums, electric guitars with that signature acoustic twang filling all the gaps. U2 type anthems without all the drama. There are also, of course, those mandolin-ey R.E.M. songs. Hey, this is what they do. But, they sound different too. I’m just a casual R.E.M. fan, but these are more … more mature to me. The difference in how a 15 year old and a 50 year old handles heartbreak. A teenager hurts with a shriek. Their pain fills your ears. A 50 year old hurts more quietly, but more deeply. That pain fills a room. R.E.M’s songs have a presence. 
As far as a running partner, “Collapse Into Now” is a mixed bag. I suspect big fans will love running with it. The upbeat numbers kept me engaged, but the mid-tempo numbers, not so much. They’re quiet, and I found myself drifting away, wondering if my outfit was scaring the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment