This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Music On The Run- #1


Music On The Run
Gregg Allman – Low Country Blues

Alright, I know, I know. This is a weird one to start with, but it was at the top of the queue.
I really liked this cd. It sounded like Gregg Allman. Of course, it'd be hard to sound like someone else after fifty years in the business. This, however, is not the Allman Brothers. It's close to traditional blues. Allman's voice is out front too, not an organic part of the music; just another instrument in the jam as it is with Allman Brothers pieces. And he sounds strong too. Still getting the job done at 63 years old. It was a mixed bag for running. The pace was good. Blues songs don't change time signatures and other fancy stuff, but that lends itself to a sameness too. I found myself drifting from the music on occasion and thinking how much I wanted to yell at the people who let their dogs off leash. Then a strong song would come on and bring me back. I also suspect that this will work better after listening to it a couple of times. Two listens and you'll know most of the lyrics. Singing along may look silly to passersby, but it helps me block out the pain of that last half mile.

1 comment:

  1. This should be fun John! Love Gregg Allman and the Allman Brothers too. Check out Derek Trucks Band (you probably already know him)and his wife Susan Tedeshi.

    The other day, I was listening to the BeeGees in the studio while painting. Guess what--can't do that--I started dancing instead of painting! LOL!

    ReplyDelete