This blog is about music on the run; music I listen to while I jog. It'll be first impresssions. No grades, just whether I like it or not. Heck, a week from now, I might change my mind. I'll also post occasional thoughts, to clear the dust bunnies from my head.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reading A Mind


Music On The Run

Robbie Robertson - How To Become Clairvoyant

Robbie Robertson's newest offering sounds like it was done by a man with experience and chops in the business.  That's because Robertson is a man with experience and chops in the business.  Add to that, a real skill in crafting songs.  This is good stuff; my newest favorite recording.  I like eclectic and this cd is all over the place.  Some gentle noodling on one cut. On another, sacred steel backing from Robert Randolph on a gospelly number.  Say Amen.  Another with a hook and sound that Al Green, circa early 1970s, would just work 'til it cried.  And wait a minute ... is that Eric Clapton? Yes, it is, and the songs sound as if they've played together forever.   Robertson is in fine voice too ... so to speak.  I always wondered about vocalists like Robertson.  At what point do raspy voiced guys with little range decide to go out front?  I'll tell you when.  When you can sing the songs like you understand them ... like you know them ... like you love them.  Robertson's lead is perfect.  The right voice at the right time for the right songs.   I guess I can't give it a fair review as a background for running, because I enjoy it so much.  Every song was different, and satisfying.  Anytime I (and I suspect, you too ..) get that much fun from a recording, the rhythm and rhyme are just fine, no matter if it works for someone else or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment